How to be a Green Girl in 2017
Welcome to 2017. For a while it seemed like 2016 would never end. But at last, it's over and it's time for bigger and better things.
So what can you do and where can we start to ensure a productive year? Here are some tips to be your best self in 2017:
Reduce Your Environmental Footprint
- If you're reducing your meat intake start out by Meatless Mondays and go from there. You don't have to drop meat cold turkey if you're transitioning, but try to go without sometimes. Meat production produces a lot of CO2 and CH4 (methane) both of which are green house gases.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle! I've heard the 3 R's enough times to have them forever embedded in my mind. No matter how old they get, they're still as useful as ever. Try to live by these words in 2017. If you don't already, start a recycling pile. If you don't want to pay for paper recycling take it to work or school every day.
- Check out your local thrift store for some reusable finds. First of all Goodwill ALWAYS has target overstock if you're grossed out by reusing clothes. A lot of the items there went straight from target to Goodwill. Go on a thrift store hunt once a month to see how much you can save by reusing.
- The year of meal prepping! Invest in good Tupperware or a meal packaging system. My Planet Box Rover is in route and I can't wait to meal prep with it. Meal prepping will ultimately save you time every day. You won't have to ask "what am I going to eat" every single meal of the day. This will also ensure you keep to a diet you like.
Get a Planner
- In 2016 my NY resolution was in fact to buy a planner and become more organized. I can say honestly that having a planner changed my life - completely. I felt like I was able to do more things because I could always check and get a visual of my day. Give a planner a try and see how much it can improve your day to day life. You'll be less forgetful and feel more productive when you get to cross tasks off that you complete.
- A lot went down in 2016 that caused pain, hurt, and anger. For me it was important to find an outlet to relieve that pain when what was happening on the news became too much. Sometimes I'd lay in bed for hours other times I'd just cry on my bathroom floor when atrocity became too much. What helped me the most was spreading love and investing in new people. Allowing yourself to be vulnerable and put love into your friendships, family, and blossoming relationships. There's something particularly healing about connecting through love.
Uplift other Women
- I mean this is a site about women empowerment so I had to mention this! In 2017 women are still fighting for equal rights and opportunity. So, what can you do to help? It can be as little as a compliment or investing in women owned businesses. Also learn about being an ally to marginalized communities and intersectional feminism.
Listen to more Fleetwood Mac
- There's something so special about Stevie Nicks voice and it should continue on into 2017.
I hope you all had an amazing New Year and 2017 will be groovy.